* Preferred not to be called: Doesn’t bother me. If it’s negative though, that will probably motivate me more.
* Occupation: Soas Racing; Women’s Triathlon Apparel Company Australian Rep.
* Qualifications: Triathlon Level One Coach; Sport Management Degree; Level One Swim coach
* Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland and online
* Greatest claim to fame:
– Mum of 4 kids;
– World Long Course Champ 2007 – as a mum of 4 and whilst still breastfeeding baby
– 2nd Pro woman Australian Half-Ironman series, 2006, 2007
– Age group podium at Hawaii Ironman
– 5th Gold coast marathon – 4months after childbirth (1994).
– 2nd as a 14year old in the second ever Noosa Triathlon.
– I was also involved in surf Lifesaving. As a junior competitor I was one of the very first girls competing – always against the boys! I pushed to be included in the men’s teams, and always had to earn my spot, way back then by beating the men. As part of the very competitive Maroochydore SLSC team, we won the world champs 1988. I was the sole female competitor and part of the men’s swim team, the men’s Rescue and resuss team, the taplin and board teams. I competed in the first Surf Ironman series, against the men (there was no womens division at that race).
– I haven’t considered myself a “feminist” in sport. I guess, I have always enjoyed the competition element, at whatever event I chose and that was my focus.
– I coached 22 athletes (11 women) in 2010 to an Ironman Australia Finish. Then 5 of those athletes competed in Hawaii.
* Greatest claim to fame outside of sporting arena: Part of the team that organised the Gympie Music Muster and part of the World Expo Team ’88, 90. AND of course, mum to 4 kids, who works part-time outside the house and whose partner is away 4-6 days a week overseas with his job!
* What got you into triathlons: I am always excited by a challenge! As a kid, I wanted to try absolutely EVERYTHING… and still do. I enjoy busting down potential barriers for women in sport!
* Why have you decided to be a part of witsup.com: To be a part of the women in triathlon movement.
* What are your own training/racing plans for 2012: Hervey bay 100 ; Noosa club races; Hell of the West ; Mooloolaba Tri; Port Macquarie Ironman; Cairns Half-Ironman; Yeppoon Half-Ironman; Annaconda LOng-course Adventure Race; Sunshine Coast Cross-Country Series; Glasshouse Mountains Trail Series; Mooloolaba Marathon; Open Water swim series ; Sunshine Coast 11k Charity swim; Royal Challenge Charity Race for Kids Foundation; Hawaii Ironman World Ironman Championships; Noosa Triathlon. And I attend school Cross-country; athletics and triathlon events, as a supporter.
Training wise, I train with a variety of groups, depending on what sort of workout I am after.
SWIMMING: Kawana Swim squads; include high profile surf swimmers and up and coming juniors; Noosa swim squads; includes high profile aussie and international triathletes; Cotton tree mums squads; includes mums of differing abilities; Open water swims with the Noosa Triathlon club.
RIDING: I ride with the Alex “fast”guys, a bunch of cyclists and a few triathletes; The Noosa pack that includes international triathletes and cyclists; or I join smaller groups like Siri Lindleys’mob or guys that train with Brett Sutton.
RUNNING: I run intervals with a team of runners and do longer runs by myself or with a few mates.